Tax Planning

Nevada Corporate Tax Planning is Not an Option, It is a Must


It is time to talk about the importance of tax planning in small business. Nevada corporate tax planning is necessary for any business to be able to meet their obligations to the government, increase their profits and to plan by analyzing previous years’ performance. An experienced Nevada tax accountant can guide a company through the maze of tax laws, advise about debt-reduction strategies and help put more money into growth and development.

Taxes are Unavoidable

It is impossible to avoid paying taxes in business. Any time a product or service is made or sold, the business has to pay taxes on a portion of its profits. Taxes allow the government to give services and protection to its citizens. However, a company can lower its taxes and increase its working capital with tax planning. A business can grow and become more profitable with more working capital. The company’s accountant should discuss what kinds of tax deductions and write-offs are right for the business at the proper times.

Two Basic Corporate Tax Planning Rules

There are two key rules in tax planning for Nevada small businesses. The first is that the company should not take on extra expenses to get a tax deduction. One smart tax planning method is to wait until the end of the year to buy major equipment, but a business should only use this strategy if the equipment is necessary. The second rule is that taxes should be deferred as much as possible. Deferring taxes means legally putting them off until the next tax season. This frees up the money that would have been used to pay that year’s taxes for interest-free use.

Accounting Methods

A company’s accounting methods can influence its taxes and cash flow. There are two main accounting methods, the cash and the accrual methods. In the cash method, income is recorded when it is actually received. This means it is noted when an invoice is actually paid rather than when it is sent out. The cash method can defer taxes by delaying billing. The accrual method is more complex because it recognizes income and debt when it actually occurs rather than when payment is made or received. It is a better way of charting a company’s long-term performance.

Nevada Tax Planning with Inventory Control and Valuation

Properly controlling inventory costs can positively affect a company’s tax deductions. A tax planning accountant can advise how and when to buy inventory to make the most of deductions and changes in stock value (valuation). There are two main inventory valuation methods: first-in, first-out (FIFO) and last-in, first-out (LIFO). FIFO is better in times of deflation and in industries where a product’s value can drop steeply, such as in high-tech areas. LIFO is better in times of rising costs, because it gives inventory in stock a lower value than the prices of goods already sold.

Predicting the Future by Looking at the Past

Good tax planning means that a company takes the past sales performance of their products and/or services into account. In addition, the state of the overall economy, cash flow, overhead costs and any corporate changes need to be considered. By looking at previous years according to the “big picture,” executives can forecast for the future. Knowing an expansion or a cutback will be needed makes planning for it easier. The company can stagger expenses, purchases, staff reductions, research and development and advertising as needed.

A Nevada tax-planning accountant can help a company increase profits, lower taxes and achieve growth for the future. Discuss your business’s needs, wants, strengths, weaknesses and goals with your corporate accountant to develop a tax planning strategy for all of these factors.

Reno’s Best CPA,

Tim Nelson

Nevada Corporate Tax Planning is Not an Option, It is a Must2016-09-22T18:32:45-07:00

Public Accountant in Reno, NV Provides Financial and Tax Organization Tips


It is important to keep finances organized, whether for an individual person or a business. Many people do not organize their finances until tax time comes. They often find they have a mountain of information to sift through and no idea where to start. Here are some tips on better financial and tax organization from a public accountant in Reno, NV.

Bank Accounts

Bank accounts are crucial money-management tools. Single people should have both a personal expenses and a savings account. Families should have a family account, which wage earners can deposit money into for household bills. They should also have individual accounts for personal spending, plus a family savings account. A self-employed person or small business owner needs to keep their company’s expense separate. This will keep personal and business matters from mingling. A public accountant in Reno, NV can help set up a plan for how to contribute to each account.

Keep or Throw Out?

Many financial records can be thrown away after a time. Any papers about major expenses (a vehicle, appliance, investment, etc.) should be kept forever, or at least until the item is no longer in use or needed. Anything about taxes and personal or investment income should be kept for at least 3 years, although six is advisable in the event of an audit. Credit card and bank statements, receipts, and utility and other bills can be thrown away annually once taxes have been filed with a public accountant in Reno, NV. Streamline your life and save paper by scanning and saving these papers.

Paper Organization

An individual can use a simple, low-tech paper filing system. Set up files according to the area of expense: loans (mortgage, car, etc.), bank and credit card statements, insurance, household expenses (groceries, gas, clothing, etc.) and bills. Public accountants advise that certain tax-deductions need their own files, like education, health care spending, travel, charitable donations, investments, etc. Keep a box in a visible place to put all receipts and bills into when you empty your purse or briefcase. Reconcile the box’s contents weekly when balancing bank statements.

Computer Organization

Self-employed people and small businesses should organize their financial records with a computerized system. This minimizes missed payments and keeps the volume of paperwork down. Important items can be scanned into the computer and saved onto a disk for your public accountant to use at tax time. Dates such as quarterly tax payments and payroll can be set ahead of time. Linking a business’s bank account with the software can result in payments being automatically deducted. All these measures reduce hassle and increase efficiency.

Tax Time

Individuals can pay their taxes once yearly on or before April 15. Businesses should make quarterly or bi-annual contributions to a tax account. This keeps the amount owed from becoming unmanageable. Any time taxes are paid, a payment for work or a service or a money gift is received, or a life insurance or other investment dividends report arrives, the paperwork should go right into the tax file for the public accountant in Reno, NV. They should get all the information you have well before tax time, in order to get the best tax deductions possible.

Careless record keeping can result in missed deadlines and payments. A certified public accountant in Reno, NV can give valuable advice on how to streamline your tax and financial organization. Everyone should review their own procedures periodically and see how they can improve them.

Reno’s Best CPA,
Tim Nelson

Public Accountant in Reno, NV Provides Financial and Tax Organization Tips2016-09-22T18:27:40-07:00

A Reno Accountant Talks About the Different Types of Businesses


There are many things to consider when starting a business. One of the first concerns should be organizing the business itself. There are many ways to organize a business in the United States. Each type of business has its advantages and disadvantages for taxes and operations. Here is some business tax advice from a Reno accountant about making the right choices for your company.

Sole Proprietorships

The Sole Proprietorship is the most common kind of business in the US. In this type of business, one person is responsible for everything. This includes daily tasks, owning assets, profits, losses and taxes. The owner would need an accountant to give business tax advice. The advantages of a sole proprietorship are that it is easy to set up and run, the profits do not have to be divided, and the owner calls all the shots. Disadvantages are that the business and its owner are inseparable according to the law. This means that if the business gets into legal or tax trouble, your personal property could be forfeit.


Another common business type is the partnership. Partnerships involve two or more running the company and sharing responsibility. As in proprietorships, the partners’ personal property can be forfeit if there are problems with taxes or lawsuits. Partners need to have clear legal agreements, to prevent disagreements about profit sharing, personal contributions, and inheritance. An accountant will tell you that partnerships’ advantages are that the work and troubles of running the business are shared, as are the taxes. Partnerships are usually short-lived, ending with the death or departure of one partner.


The corporation is a more complex way to organize a business, but it has many advantages over other models. A corporation is an “entity” that is formed and registered in its home state. A business charter sets forth the corporation’s purpose, as well as whom its shareholders, or owners, are. The shareholders elect a corporate board, which directs the company’s operations. A Reno accountant is needed to give corporate business tax advice and to ensure that state and federal tax laws are followed. Taxes are generally higher. Corporations allow the owners limited legal and financial responsibility in lawsuits, debts or even bankruptcy.

Limited Liability Companies (LLC)

The LLC is a newer business class that works like a hybrid of a partnership and a corporation. LLC owners are listed as “members” and organizational paperwork is filed that sets out its purpose and terms. The main tax benefit for an LLC is that it is taxed at individual rates instead of higher corporate rates. Members also have limited legal and financial liability. An LLC cannot have more than two corporate features, like continuity of the agreement, management centralization, asset ownership, and ownership transferability. If it has more than two of these, it is re-classified as a corporation.

Before starting a business, talk to a Reno accountant about how to begin. Get good business tax advice and figure out your goals. If you have modest goals and do not want to share profits, a sole proprietorship is best. If you and someone else share the desire to make a business work and are committed to it, a partnership could benefit you. More upward-minded businesses should organize into corporations or LLC’s, depending on how they want to structure operations. Remember to ask about taxes, as each method’s tax liability varies.

A Reno Accountant Talks About the Different Types of Businesses2016-09-22T18:11:52-07:00

A CPA In Reno Explains How Getting Married Changes Your Tax Situation


So your big day has come and gone, now what? You have made it through the chaos of the wedding and I am sure taxes are not on your mind, but it is important to understand how getting married can change your tax situation. A married couple should take some time to sit down with their CPA in Reno to discuss how their tax situation will change now that they are married.

Don’t Forget The Little Things

After the marriage, there is usually a move. Whether it is one part of the couple moving in with the other or the couple moving into a new place, a new home means a new address. It is important to remember to update your employer, the post office and even the IRS of your address change. You want to make sure that all of your tax information will arrive at the proper address.

Another thing that commonly happens after marriage is the changing of a last name. Whether a spouse changes their last name to the other’s or adds a hyphen between the names, it is important to remember to notify your employer, the post office, the IRS and, well, everybody. The last thing you want come tax season is confusion over who you are.

Filing Jointly

After getting married, the couple usually files their taxes jointly. By filing a joint tax return, the couple doubles the limitations and deductions that you otherwise would get if you filed two single returns. However, there are certain differences in the tax code where the “marriage penalty” comes into play.

This is a situation where filing jointly causes higher tax than you would pay if you filed two single returns, even though the taxable income is the same. This has largely been eliminated for the lower income tax brackets through 2010, but would apply once you reach a taxable income of $137,300 (in 2010) or higher. For example, assume that a married couple earned $120,000 for one spouse and $100,000 for the other, then the tax as a married couple would be $44,607.50. If they each filed single, the total tax would be $43,782.50, or $825 less than joint filing. The “penalty” increases with the amount of taxable income earned as the couple.

When In Doubt Ask For Advice

After getting married, you do not need the added stress of taxes on your plate. If you are concerned that you may have missed something or just want clarification on how you should file as a couple, you should contact a CPA in Reno. Depending on your tax situation, the CPA will be able to tell you the best way to file. The CPA in Reno will also be able to talk you through the name change and address change process. They may not be able to help you with the actual steps, but they will able to remind you of anything you may have missed.

Reno’s Best CPA,

Tim Nelson

A CPA In Reno Explains How Getting Married Changes Your Tax Situation2016-09-22T17:32:13-07:00

A Reno Certified Public Accountant Discusses Divorce and Taxes


Going through a divorce is a very stressful time. You need to figure out child custody, child support, division of property, etc… However, there is one thing that may have not made it on your list of things to remember-taxes.

Marital Status on The Last Day Of The Year Determines Tax Filing Status

Many things come into play as far as taxes are concerned when going through a divorce. The first thing to know is that you are supposed to file based on your status on the last day of the tax year. That means if you get divorced on December 28, you file single for the entire year! Similarly, if you get divorced on January 2, you will need to file jointly (or married filing separately) for the prior year.

Don’t Forget About Alimony

Alimony may be a factor, and is governed by the divorce decree or separation agreement. Note that if you get into a situation where Spouse A owes Spouse B for alimony, and Spouse B owes child support back to Spouse A, do not NET them! The IRS only allows you to take the NET amount as alimony. If you pay the entire amount, and get a separate check back, you can take the FULL amount.

Refund Checks Can Be Tricky

Refund checks (or direct deposits) are always an exciting factor. If you are due a refund with your former spouse, make sure it goes to a neutral party who will give you ONLY the refund you are entitled to. If your former spouse gets you to sign on the back of the check and cashes it into their account, you may never see the refund! Similarly, do not direct deposit it into an account you do not have control of! My recommendation is to have a check sent to the Certified Public Accountant’s office. Then have both spouses come in to sign it. The CPA can then cash the check and remit the appropriate amounts to each spouse.

Get Help!

Even before you get divorced, it is important to get advice to determine the tax issues at hand. For example, what if he gets the primary residence and you get the rental house to live in? The tax bases are likely very different, and you will end up owing tax on a gain of a former rental that he can exclude from his residence since it qualified as a primary residence. There are many other factors to consider in divorce taxation. The IRS publication number 504, Divorced or Separated Individuals, deals with many of these issues, but it is important that you discuss all of these with your Reno Certified Public Accountant before they bite you!

Reno’s Best CPA,

Tim Nelson


A Reno Certified Public Accountant Discusses Divorce and Taxes2016-09-22T17:23:20-07:00

A CPA Helps Business Owners Understand Payroll Taxes


Payroll taxes can be a headache for business owners. Employers are required to withhold some types of payroll taxes from an employee’s paycheck. Some payroll taxes must be paid by both the business owner and the employee, while some are the responsibility of the business owner alone. Along with understanding the different types of payroll taxes, employers must stay up-to-date on the amount of each tax, as well as the most current legislation regarding taxes. Many business owners consult a Reno CPA to make it easier.

What Are Payroll Taxes?

There are federal and state payroll taxes. A CPA can help business owners understand both types, but state payroll taxes usually create more problems for employers because the requirements are different depending on the location. In Nevada, there are no state income taxes. Individuals and business owners are only required to pay federal income taxes, social security tax, and Medicare. Like most states, Nevada does have an unemployment tax that business owners must pay. Nevada also requires many employers to pay an additional payroll tax, known as the Modified Business Tax.

Federal Payroll Taxes

The amount of federal income tax that a business owner takes out of an employee’s paycheck is determined by an IRS W-4 form. Employers are required to have every employee complete a W-4. Generally, social security and Medicare taxes (FICA) are shared equally by the employer and the employee. But in 2011, the employee tax contribution rate was lowered to 4.2% for social security. Business owners are still required to pay 6.2% on all wages less than $106,800. Medicare tax rates are still 1.45% for both parties. A CPA can keep business owners stay informed about current tax rates.

Unemployment Taxes

Unemployment taxes are collected by the federal government, as well as individual state governments, to fund the unemployment program. Most business owners are required to pay unemployment taxes by filing a Form 940 with the IRS. As of July 1, 2011, the federal unemployment tax rate is 6%, but a credit of 5.4% is available for employers who pay state unemployment taxes. In Nevada, the state unemployment tax is referred to as unemployment insurance tax, or UI tax. Calculating the UI tax rate depends on several factors that are best explained by a Nevada CPA.

UI Tax Rate

Any business owner in Nevada who pays at least $225 in wages within one calendar quarter is subject to UI taxes. The amount of the tax is a percentage of every employee’s wages, up to $26,400 (2012 wage limit). New businesses pay 2.95% for the first 14 to 17 quarters in operation. After this period, the UI tax rate is determined by Nevada’s ‘experience rating.’ Depending on how much a business pays in UI taxes and the unemployment benefits its employees receive, the UI tax rate can range from 0.25% to 5.4% of the total taxable wages the business has paid.

Modified Business Tax

On October 1, 2003, the state of Nevada made it a requirement for business owners to also pay an excise tax on their paid wages. The Modified Business Tax is a quarterly payroll tax based on an employer’s gross wages and paid to the Nevada Department of Taxation. This tax is in addition to the UI tax that is paid to the Employment Security Commission. The current Modified Business Tax rate is 0.63%, and there are no wage limits or caps to benefit the business owner. There are deductions available to reduce the tax. Most of these credits are associated with health care payments.

Many business owners are unsure of the legislation concerning payroll taxes, but failing to comply with state and federal tax laws can be detrimental to a company. An experienced Nevada CPA is the best resource for learning more about federal payroll taxes, as well as current information on the UI and Modified Business taxes.

Reno’s Best CPA,

Tim Nelson

A CPA Helps Business Owners Understand Payroll Taxes2016-09-22T16:33:50-07:00

Reno Tax Preparation Requires Cooperation Between CPA And Client


A Reno CPA or certified public accountant is a huge help to individuals and businesses when it comes time for filing taxes. However, in order for the CPA and client relationship to be successful, communication is imperative. By understanding how communication works best between a CPA and his or her client, you can make sure your relationship with your CPA is solid. In addition, this helps to ensure that filing taxes, keeping records, and all other processes are easier and more accurate.

Don’t Be Afraid to Ask Questions

One of the best methods of communication is asking questions. As a client, if you are unsure of a specific process or you do not know why certain results are the way they are you can ask your CPA to explain it to you. Things like tax preparation, expense records, and loss charts can be very confusing for someone who doesn’t work with those numbers every day. A great accountant will take the time to explain what he or she is doing and why things have to be completed a certain way. Just because you’re not doing the tax preparation or other processes yourself, doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be able to understand what’s happening.

Reports and Information

If there’s something a CPA knows about, it’s keeping records. A great certified public accountant will record everything and provide reports and information to you regarding the processes he or she is going through in order to file your taxes or keep up with your business records. This will allow you to examine the processes yourself, and keep your own records for those processes. It’s also very important for you to keep records and provide your CPA with information as well. Keeping receipts and transaction logs of expenses will allow your CPA to prepare your taxes in the most accurate way. This ensures that your taxes are paid correctly and that you’re on an even ground with the IRS.

Why a CPA is the Best Choice

In addition to learning how to prepare taxes to begin with, a CPA will spend hours each year learning new information about laws that have changed, new stipulations for tax preparation and so much more. Most individuals don’t have the time to spend themselves learning these things, and trusting a professional is the best choice. A qualified CPA understands tax laws easily and in-depth, so they can make sure your taxes are filed correctly and accurately. In the same way that you’d hire an expert cake decorator to make sure your wedding cake is perfect, hiring a CPA ensures that your taxes are filed perfectly.

Overall, by having a great relationship with your Reno CPA, you can be sure that your tax preparation is done accurately and that nothing has been missed. It’s important to trust your accountant and communication is the best way to build that trust.

Reno Tax Preparation Requires Cooperation Between CPA And Client2016-09-22T16:29:02-07:00

Ask A Reno CPA: When Is Online Income Taxable?

Hi there,

Tim Nelson CPA Reno Business Taxes

I have seen many articles about the amount of home-based online businesses that are started up each month and there are many more articles about how big Facebook and other social platforms are getting and how people are making money on them. The problem is there is sometimes a blur between what types of online behavior are taxable and what are not.

Online Garage Sales

For example, if you are having an online garage sale, like selling some items on Craigslist or other such sites, you usually do not have to report sales. This is usually true if you sold the item for less than your cost.

Selling Appreciated Assets

However, if you are selling appreciated assets like paintings, antiques or collectibles and you are selling the item for more than your cost, you usually have to report the transaction as a reportable gain.

Online Businesses or Reoccurring Sales

There are also individuals who either have an online business or have taken the garage sale theory to the next step by buying and reselling items. Any time you may be seen as running a business, especially with how blurry the line is online, you should contact a Reno Certified Public Accountant.

The last thing you want to do is get into tax trouble because of your actions online. Remember when you are making money you should always think about the potential tax implications. When in doubt, ask a Reno CPA about the situation. They will be able to tell you whether you owe taxes and, if so, they will likely be able to help you find deductions.

If you have further questions about this topic you can read more on the Internal Revenue Services’ Website:,,id=209314,00.html or you can contact Evans Nelson & Company CPAs today. (Contact us online or call 775-825-6008)

Reno’s Best CPA,

Tim Nelson

Ask A Reno CPA: When Is Online Income Taxable?2016-09-22T16:13:50-07:00

Business Consulting | Start Up Businesses


Have you recently opened a business? Are you starting to find some holes, or need help in your processes and aren’t sure how to fix them? A Reno CPA can help you find the best ways to ensure your business adapts to all rapidly changing needs a new business can go through.

Meeting with your CPA quarterly can keep you on track too. Are you aware you have to pay income taxes on an individual basis for your business earnings? What do you need to do with a person who is helping you out–should they be an employee or a general contractor? Understanding the advantages and disadvantages of both will help you make the best decision for your business—and bottom line.

Evans Nelson & Company CPAs is here to help you with these kinds of questions, decisions and choices. Our business experience and knowledge can help you ensure your new business is financially sound with smart choices that will better enable you to manage your business instead of worry about it.

Say it’s Dec 28th and you realize you have a huge tax liability. What can do you do to avoid paying this? Should you delay income, spend more income, or increase your expenditures before the end of the year to save money? Purchasing capital equipment, or a computer you need may help to actually save money, and help keep your business financially sound.

Many new business owners may not know these effective ways to save money, minimize your tax liability, and many other things that can affect the business long and short term, tax wise and financially. Certified Public Accountants can help businesses that have gotten started but really don’t have a good handle on where they can save money and avoid problems. Reno CPAs are here to help move your business forward to that next level of success.

Business Consulting | Start Up Businesses2016-09-22T16:08:55-07:00

Elections & Tax Law Changes


I often hear people say “Tax laws are constantly changing! How can I protect my business? How can I even keep up with how it will impact my bottom line?”

One of the constants in life is change…and you can be sure there will be constant tax law changes as well! How can you keep up with them all? What kind of impact does an election year have on tax laws?

A Reno CPA or certified public accountant is a huge help to individuals and businesses when dealing with tax law changes. After all, it’s our business to know the information that can help you pay the least amount of taxes and use all the tax advantages in the IRS tax code.

We understand how difficult it can be with all the constant IRS tax code and tax law changes, but at Evans Nelson CPAs, we keep up with tax law changes. Certified Public Accountants are required by law to complete a certain number of Continuing Education classes and seminars. At Evans Nelson, every one of our CPAs goes well beyond those minimum requirements, along with other research to stay informed. It’s our business to advise you and you deserve far more than just minimum requirements.

Whether it’s proposed changes investments in capital equipment–can it be all deducted in the first year–to health insurance deductions, to changes in business taxes, or personal write offs, tax law changes can affect when and how you may want to take certain actions. We help guide you with sound advice based on information from the IRS and our experience and understanding of how these tax law changes will affect your individual circumstances.

Simply consulting for an hour or two with your Reno CPA can save you 10, 20 or even more hours of research and frustration trying to determine what is best for your business, and also help you find the best ways to protect it.

So save yourself the struggle and time consuming research by hiring a professional. Evans Nelson stays informed, so you can focus on your passions.

Elections & Tax Law Changes2016-09-22T16:02:27-07:00
Go to Top